Friday, November 05, 2004

Election Selection

Well, we survived the Y2K of 2004. A day we knew was coming, but had no idea how it would end. I had great fun wearing my Electoral College sweatshirt, though I didn't wear it as much as I hoped because it's been quite warm.

My cousin Lindsay had an election party at her apartment/hotel. (She's there for a semester and is getting maid service once a week. But even better is that she has reliable hot water.) We won a couple games of beer pong on what was probably the world's shortest and most expensive beer pong table. But most of the time was spent glued to the TV watching foxnews or CNN like it was the superbowl. I finally went to bed when it was clear Bush would win, just not clear when this would be official. (A big thanks to Kerry for not dragging lawyers into this.) One thing I have learned from this election is that Ohio is a really fun word to type. ohiohiohiohiohiohio.

I've enjoyed reading people's away messages the last few days and realizing that they apparently think I'm "delusional" and "dumb". Ouch! It's a good thing I didn't know anything about politics in highschool and most of college because this gave people a chance to like me first, before sharing the shocking news. Sometimes I feel like being conservative and from the Bay Area is like being gay in Mississippi. "Huh? I never really met one of you people before. But how can you be like that having grown up in the environment you did? Maybe you'll come around in a few years."

All in all, this has been a pretty fantastic week. Bush wins, hippies cry, and my dad's here taking me out to dinner and buying me things and helping me with the job search. Plus, this weekend is homecoming so it's only gonna get better. And watch out...I'm going shooting on Saturday...

*Haha, spell checker's first suggestion for foxnews was "foxiness". (It had no suggestions for ohiohiohiohiohio.)

1 Comments:

At 11/07/2004 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Janie,

On election night, Phil, Jordy, and I were all at Phil's house, eating and making fun of the newscasters and their ridiculous makeup and orange skin, and yelling at the TV as votes from Ohio and Florida came in. It was pretty fun, and I would say, Yeah, you totally should have been here, but we had all voted for Kerry, because we are from the Bay Area. Haha. Maybe it's a good thing you weren't here. :)

Love, Peetie
P.S. When I turned in the creative writing story about everybody taking the road trip last year, I received confused comments about your character's political affiliation. Some classmates wrote things like, "Wait, she's politically conservative??? I don't get it." I felt like I shouldn't have to explain this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home