Friday, December 24, 2004

I get presents in the morning...wheee!

The other day Peetie, Sandra, Kristin and I decided to make gingerbread houses. I was very much looking forward to this and was especially pleased to see lots and lots of candies to decorate them. We had three kinds of Teddy Grahams, Christmas M&Ms, normal M&Ms, mint Hershey Kisses, Twizzlers, little red candies, sprinkles, pretzels, and a number of other things...you get the picture. But unfortunately for me, I never really got to use them. Why? Because I couldn't get stupid piece of crap graham crackers to stand up. The other three were off making beautiful mansion homes with balconies, multiple levels, snow covered walls, a waterbed, a teddy graham impaled by a Hershey Kiss, etc. And I was still stuck loading on the sugar paste trying to get my walls to stay up. Eventually I got so fed up, I pounded the whole thing into the ground with my fist. I call it Earthquaked House. Peetie even placed a Teddy Graham under the rubble so it had more of a story. Am I the only person who has trouble with gingerbread houses? If you have a story like this I would really appreciate hearing about it so I'm not the only incompetent one.

Annie, Sandra and I went to Memorial Church for a Christmas Eve service thingy and afterwards we had planned to watch a bunch of Christmas movies like Rudolph, and Charlie Brown Christmas. But when we got home, we couldn't find Rudolph and then it turned out our VCR wasn't even plugged in. So instead we watched South Park's "A Very Crappy Christmas" with Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo! We were so in the holiday spirit.

Another activity I associate with being home is reading the local police blotter, of which the best stuff comes from Atherton, though Palo Alto has it's moments, too. Here's a sample:

  • VANDALISM A 37-year-old man was arrested after allegedly smashing a front window at Stoa Restaurant, 632 Emerson St., with a bag containing protein powder and running off. Police caught up to him about 12:15 a.m. Friday on the 900 block of Emerson Street.
  • Atherton: someone fell out of bed and needed help getting up.
  • ATHERTON First block Melanie Lane, 5:16 p.m.: A resident called police after a golden cocker spaniel ran into her house and jumped on a guest.
  • ATHERTON 200 block Polhemus Ave., 3:51 p.m.: Vandals moved a large decorative rock. (A thank you to this site)
My eyes are droopy and I'm super excited to open presents in the morning. So Merry Christmas to all (except those who don't celebrate it), and to all (except those I don't like) a good night!

1 Comments:

At 12/25/2004 12:08 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

I'm not very good with gingerbread houses either. I used to blame it on being diabetic and pretend that it wasn't my fault, but then we realized the whole artistic side of me just wasn't very capable, whether it was with food or anything else requiring talent. At that point the excuse no longer worked, and I had to admit defeat.

Next year you should try just piling stacks of graham crackers on top of each other, cover the whole thing in frosting, and decorate it as if this is the obvious way to build a gingerbread house. To me it is, but my family never saw it that way, so I couldn't tell you if this works or not. It seems like it should though.

Jillian is reading this over my shoulder and glaring at me as if I'm the dumbest person in the world. (I'm not, hippies obviously get that title.) Anyways, she wants me to tell you to use store bought frosting, particularly Pillsbury, because it works a lot better than sugar paste. I would believe her because 1) she's smarter than me and 2) she's our dessert expert. Except she doesn't make anatomically correct gingerbread men and women--that job gets left to me and Derek!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home